3 Signs That You Have Mold Inside Your Home

Having mold in your home can be dangerous for the foundation of the home. Mold can eat through the wood in the house and can cause serious problems in the future. However, mold isn't just dangerous to the house, it is also dangerous for the people in the home. This is why it is so important that you catch mold early on and get it treated. Here are a couple signs that you have mold in your home.

1. There Is A Rancid Smell

One of the first things you will notice is that there is a distinct mildew smell in the house. At first it could smell like wet urine, or old stagnant water. But as the mold grows and becomes more and more abundant, it will actually take on a more rancid smell.

Consequently, if you notice a smell in the house that you just can't get out, no matter how much you clean, you might have mold. It can be under the carpet, in the flooring, inside the walls, or even in the bathrooms.

2. Allergy Symptoms From People In The House

Another sign that you have mold in your home is that the people living in the house are showing allergy symptoms. For example, someone who didn't previously have allergies might start to have problems breathing. They may feel a shortness of breath when they are inside the house. Less serious symptoms include coughing, sneezing, wheezing, and watery eyes.

If just one person is showing these symptoms, it may be an actual allergen. But if everyone in the home seems to have continuous allergy symptoms, it could be that there is mold in the house.

3. Flooding and Wetness In The House

If you have had a recent flood, if the house experiences a good deal of ground water or dripping water, you need to check for mold. Mold thrives in areas that are warm, moist, and dark. This means that mold grows in places that you might not see all the time: under the sink, under the carpet, in the back of the shower, and so forth. Therefore, if you have had a recent flood, or know that one area of the house has a lot of moisture, you should be checking regularly for mold, even if you don't have the other signs.

If you notice mold in your home, you need to call for a professional, like Bios Environments, to do the removal. It can be dangerous to try and handle mold, which is why you shouldn't attempt it on your own. 

Share